The S.R. Hussey Memorial Scholarship is available to students living in Atlantic Canada who are legally blind.
Amount: Varies, Typically from $100 -1000
Number Available: Varies
Deadline: May 1st (annually)
Dr. Samuel Robert Hussey was born in Newfoundland in 1874. He lost his sight at the age of ten after contracting measles. In 1893, he became a teacher and taught at the School for the Blind in Halifax for many years.
Dr. Hussey was an inspiration to the many who came into contact with him. Through his work as a teacher, he came to recognize that there was a need for a fund to assist those who had completed their schooling with further education and/or training. He was appointed convener of the new Scholarship Fund in 1951 by the Maritime Division, Canadian Council of the Blind. After his death in 1964, the fund was renamed the S.R. Hussey Memorial Fund.
This Grant typically ranges from $100 to $1,000, depending upon the perceived needs of the applicant and the funds available. This is a renewable scholarship for which you can re-apply for each year of your program.
The fund is able to provide a limited amount of assistance to residents of Atlantic Canada who meet one of the two criteria as follows:
- Legally blind persons in the pursuit of studies or training and the purchase of necessary equipment
- Legally blind persons for the purchase of equipment or other services to be used in their employment
How to Apply
Forms may be obtained from any office of the CNIB and/or the Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority (APSEA). Online application form available here.
A transcript of your previous year’s marks and an eye report dated within the past 12 months must be attached.
Some things Note If you are applying for school use and not for business use:
- You will need to list your income, Ex (How its made, savings, assistance from other sources (e.g. scholarships, parents, etc.))
- You will need to list your expenses and anticipated expensive. Ex ( tuition, student fees, books, housing/residences, etc)
- You will need to fill out personal information in this form ex ( Parents Name, Occupation, Number of dependents in your family, Have you applied for a student loan if not why?, ext…)
Please return completed application and all requested information to:
Director, Programs for Students who are Blind or Visually Impaired
APSEA, 5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Applications may be faxed to 903-423-8700
Atlantic Provinces Special Education Authority
Commission de l’enseignement special de provinces de l’Atlantique
5940 South Street, Halifax,
Nova Scotia B3H 1S6
Administration Fax 902-423-8700