The Lisa Huus Memorial Bursaries are available for students attending post-secondary education in British Columbia who have physical disabilities.
Amount: up to $5000
Number Available: varies
Deadline: May 31 2021
The Lisa Huus Memorial Fund was established in 1988 in memory of Lisa Pauline Huus, who was a third-year sociology student at the University of Victoria. A native of Victoria, Lisa graduated from Claremont Senior Secondary School in 1985 and was a registered member of the Muscular Dystrophy Association of Canada.
The fund was created by Lisa’s family and has been supported by personal donations in memory of Lisa and by fundraising activities undertaken by the Huus family and the Lisa Huus Memorial Fund.
About the Bursary
The Lisa Huus Memorial Fund provides bursaries up to $5000 annually per recipient, to assist persons with disabilities to undertake or continue their post-secondary education for academic credit at the University of Victoria or other accredited post-secondary institutions in British Columbia. Bursaries may be used for items such as tuition fees, textbooks, equipment, transportation, residence and support worker costs.
The Fund is administered by the Lisa Huus Memorial Fund Committee with the support of Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island (formerly Queen Alexandra Foundation for Children). The membership of the committee includes a medical advisor.
The intent of the Lisa Huus Memorial Fund is to provide bursaries to as many eligible applicants as possible; however, the number of bursaries awarded in a given year varies depending on the number of applications received and the amount of funding available. Decisions of the committee are final.
- Persons with disabilities studying at the University of Victoria or another accredited post-secondary institution in British Columbia.
- Persons attending a qualifying post-secondary institution who require a personal attendant, are dependent on a mechanical device for mobility or maintenance of body functions, require major continuing therapies, or have other significant special needs.
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
- Only complete applications that meet all stated criteria will be considered for funding.
At this time applicants with a developmental disability are only eligible to apply if they also have a significant physical disability.
How to Apply
Your application to the Lisa Huus Memorial Fund consists of:
- Online application form
- Letter of disability certification
- Three reference forms
- Official academic transcript
- Proof of permanent residency (for applicants who are not Canadian citizens)
- Online Application Form
The online application form consists of six sections:
- Section A — Applicant Information
- Section B — Letter of Disability Certification
- Section C — Statement of Personal Goals (500-1000 words)
- Section D — Financial Information
- Section E — References
- Section F — Academic Transcripts
Please note: Once you begin the application process, you cannot save your work—please make sure you have all the necessary information on hand before you start. You will have the chance to preview your application before submitting.
Applicants must provide official transcripts for the last two years of study. These documents may be submitted by mail. The application is not considered completed until the transcripts have been received.
Please submit to: email@example.com
Successful applicants will be notified by mail by September.
Lisa Huus Memorial Fund
Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island
2390 Arbutus Rd
Victoria BC V8N 1V7
(Source also links to the online application)