Students with permanent disabilities are eligible to access all student loan and grant programs. There are also some features of the Canada-Saskatchewan Integrated Student Loan program specifically for students with permanent disabilities, as well as other supports available to all students that may be of interest to you.
Financial Supports for Students with Disabilities
- If you are a student with a permanent disability who is eligible for student loans, you will be eligible to receive the Canada Student Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities. You will be automatically considered for this grant in your student loan application. This grant provides $2,000 per school year to assist with educational or living costs. Click here to access the handbook for more infromation.
- If you are a student with a permanent disability, you may take a reduced course load and be eligible for loans and grants for a longer academic period.
- If you are a student with a permanent disability enrolled in a program at a post-secondary educational institution, you may be eligible to receive the Canada-Saskatchewan Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities. This grant provides up to $22,000 per program year.
- If you are a student with a permanent disability enrolled in an adult basic education or apprenticeship program, you can apply for the Canada-Saskatchewan Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities without applying for a student loan. You may also be eligible for the Provincial Training Allowance.
- Students with disabilities are not required to make a fixed student contribution. Students are expected to contribute to their educational costs by providing a fixed student contribution of up to $3,000 per year. There is no fixed student contribution for students with permanent disabilities, Indigenous students, students with children and students who are, or were, Crown wards. Therefore, these students may be eligible to receive more loan funding.
You can find the Student Loan Application page HERE.