The Arlene Burris Memorial Scholarship is a national scholarship available to students under the age of 21 who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Amount: Up to $1000
Number Available: Up to 30
Deadline: May 1st (further applications may be considered in October)
This award is renewable for a maximum of four years (three renewals up to a maximum of four years in total).
The DHH Trust Fund is used for student bursaries, scholarships, and awards; research; and staff professional development. The Interprovincial School Development Committee (ISDA) meets twice per year to determine the allocation of funds to qualified applicants. The Committee follows specific criteria, as outlined in the Guidelines for Awarding Bursaries, Scholarships and Research Grants document, to determine eligibility and distribution of funds.
- A person studying in any field that will prepare them to work with students who are deaf or hard of hearing; or
- A person who is deaf or hard of hearing for post-secondary study]
- A student pursuing study at the post-secondary level leading to an undergraduate degree or certification.
- Available to students who are 21 years of age or younger. The age restriction of 21 years does not apply in the renewal years.
How to Apply
To ensure consideration of this application, the following information must be attached:
- Transcript of academic records
- Three letters of reference (character, academic, one other)
- Evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary program
- Recent statement from a clinical audiologist describing your hearing loss (if you
are deaf or hard of hearing)
Selection of this scholarship is determined by the ISDA Committee on a yearly basis and the Arlene Burris Memorial Scholarship Application form is to be used.
First-time applications should be made on the form “Interprovincial School Development Association -Scholarship Application for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing”.
Renewal Applications should be made on the form “Interprovincial School Development Association – Scholarship Renewal Application for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing”.
Applications must be supported by evidence of acceptance into a post-secondary program
5940 South Street, Halifax, NS B3H 1S6
Related: George Bateman Memorial Scholarship