The Thomas Sorensen Memorial Scholarship is open to students with permanent disabilities registered with the Paul Menton Center at Carleton University.
Deadline: September 30th, 2019
This scholarship was stablished by the Sorensen family to honour the legacy of their son, Thomas Sorensen, who was a student at Carleton from 2013-2014. Thomas had big dreams, was a true advocate for persons with disabilities and devoted countless hours volunteering and fundraising for various charitable organizations. He would never turn down an opportunity to educate anyone who was willing to listen.
The purpose of the scholarship is to provide financial support to an undergraduate student with a permanent disability who is starting their first year of study or proceeding from one year to another in any program of study at Carleton University. The award will be granted annually, on the recommendation of the Paul Menton Centre and an application by the student will be required.
The ideal recipient for this award would be a student who represents the following:
- A student with a permanent disability and who is registered at the Paul Menton Centre,
- A first-year student or a student continuing from one year to another,
- A student with good academic standing,
- A student who is passionate about advocating for disabilities,
- A student who volunteers or fundraises for organizations that help persons with disabilities,
- A Canadian citizen.
How to Apply
The scholarship will be administered by the Awards and Financial Aid Office. The student will be selected on the recommendation of the Director of the Paul Menton Centre.
- Complete and return application form to the address provided on the application form.
- Submit a short essay describing who you are, what you are studying, and how you plan to carry out the legacy of Thomas Sorensen. No specific length is required but applicants will be encouraged to provide photos of them being involved in these types of activities.
- Provide one letter of reference.
Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities
501 University Centre
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, ON, Canada
TTY and Video-Relay-Service (Hearing Impaired): 613-520-3937
See other Carleton University Scholarships:
- Dr. John Davis Burton Award
- Paul Menton Memorial Bursary
- John Teuscher Memorial Scholarship
Last Updated: July 16th, 2019