The June Opie Fellowship is available to Canadian students with severe disabilities who will be attending post-graduate studies.
Amount: The value of the award is expected to be about $NZ 12,000 but will vary at the discretion of the panel.
Number Available: 1
Deadline: October 31st
The award, available to citizens and permanent residents of Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, is designed as an incentive for students of high academic achievement who have a severe disability. It is intended for those who plan to undertake post-graduate study with a view to preparing themselves for a role in the professions, in politics, or more particularly, in university teaching and research and who have disability issues as a continuing interest.
The award is made to enable the recipient to secure such assistance, by travel, by the preparation of computer software, or by other means as will facilitate effective study and preparation for the future. This is the first Fellowship of its kind in the world and its principal purpose is the pursuit of excellence. New Zealand, Australia, and Canada were selected as the countries on which to focus initially in search of recipients.
- Must be a citizen of Australia, Canada, or New Zealand
- Must have a severe disability
- Must be planning to undertake post-graduate study with a view to preparing themselves for a role in the professions, in politics, or more particularly, in university teaching and research and who have disability issues as a continuing interest
How to Apply
Scholarship applications will usually open around six weeks before the closing date. Please read the regulations carefully to be sure you are eligible before you apply. Open dates are September 19th to October 31st.
The Selection Process:
- Application is made to the Scholarships Office
- A Selection Committee assesses the applications
- The Scholarship is awarded by the University of Auckland Council on the recommendation of the Selection Committee
For further regulations, click here
You can find answers to your questions about scholarships, awards and prizes on the University’s online help and support center, AskAuckland.
If you can’t find the answer to your question, contact our Student Support Team.
For questions about a particular scholarship, award or prize, please include the exact name.
For scholarships or awards closing within the next three days, please mark your inquiry as urgent.