The Canadian Hearing Society National Scholarship Program offers national scholarships available to Deaf or hard of hearing students.
Amount: $3000 (full-time students) or $1000 (part-time students)
Number Available:The exact number of awards will be dependent on the number and ranking of qualified applicants.
Deadline: June 15th, 2020 at 4p.m.
The Canadian Hearing Society National Scholarship Program was created to help break down financial barriers to higher education and build brighter futures for Deaf and hard of hearing students across Canada, and is uniquely inclusive of Deaf and hard of hearing students of all abilities. Selection criteria are based on community involvement, character references, and a demonstrated commitment to transform the lives of Deaf and hard of hearing Canadians–and not on grades or individual student performance indicators.
Trusted since 1940, the Canadian Hearing Society is the leading provider of services and products for people who are Deaf and hard of hearing to ensure barrier-free access, independence and increased quality of life.
- Students must be pursuing full-time, part-time or distance learning for academic or training programs at accredited educational institutions, inside or outside of Canada
- Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada;
- Applicants must be either hard of hearing or Deaf;
- Applicants must be:
- 17 years of age or older and attending a recognized post-secondary institution in the Fall of 2020 pursuing full-time, part-time or distance learning for academic or training programs at accredited educational institutions, inside or outside of Canad; or mature students, 19 years of age or older;
- For first-time applicants – Eligibility is based on the overall assessment of the following application materials:
- Photocopy proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent residency with date of birth;
- At least one audiogram documenting hearing loss of 50dB or greater, pure tone average, in both ears;
- Proof of Fall 2019 acceptance to an accredited post-secondary institution (proof of registration,
signed consent form and thank-you video are required before students receive awards in
August/September each year);
- Typed 12-pt font, 250-word essay in English or French, or YouTube or Dropbox link to a 6-minute video in
ASL/LSQ, as outlined in Section 3 (page 4 of this application form);
- Community Involvement checklist, as outlined in Section 4 (page 4 of the application form); and,
- Two (2) letters of reference, as outlined in Section 5 (page 5 of the application form).
- For return applicants – Each return student will be required to:
- Complete an abridged “Return Student” application by the May deadline; Submit a supporting essay or video; And
- Show proof of registration in August, prior to receiving a cash award.
How to Apply
A committee of Deaf and hard of hearing community members, educators, industry leaders and staff
will review and select applicants. All winners will be notified by September 10, 2020 and recognized across the Canadian Hearing Society community later in the month.
Once secured, students may receive an annual award for up to four years. Awards may cover tuition,
residence or educational resources.
Tel: 1-866-518-0000 ext.4056
Address: 271 Spadina Road Toronto, ON M5R 2V3